So I created this document for some of my colleagues..thought some of you may find this useful as well!
Secure a user name: You first need to get a minimum of 25 fans. Then go to http://facebook.com/username to register a unique username (vanity URL) for your fan Page.
Running a contest: To run a contest you will need to use an app like Wildfire. So could run a contest that way so long as you comply to all of Facebook’s Promotions Guidelines.
Increase your fans: Here are some great tips on how to get more fans: http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/21-creative-ways-to-increase-your-facebook-fanbase/
Create a welcome tab with non-fan and fan-only content: Many app providers are now offering simple solutions “fan-only content,” and “fangating.” We used Odyl http://odyl.net/ for a while and liked them.
Commenting/Engaging with a page: Any user, including non-fans, can now post on fan page walls and like/comment/share fan page content. So it is crucial to get people engaged as opposed to be focused on driving growth in fans. Also, engagement rates are three times higher for posts that used a full-length URL, rather than a URL shortener and Facebook posts receive 50% of their Likes in the first 1h20m, 80% in the first 7 hours, and 95% within 22 hours.
What is the optimal number of times per day to post content on a Facebook Fan Page? You’ll need to experiment. Different audiences respond to different content and frequencies. The #1 reason people unlike brands on Facebook is the company posted too frequently. Track your unsubscribe and unlike rates each day as measured against what you’re posting and how often.
When is the best time to post? Again, try to experiment. Brands that post outside of normal hours sometimes see a higher engagement.
What are some success metrics?
• Number of likes, shares and comments
• Referral traffic to your website via Facebook
• Purchases/ecommerce metrics
There is always a motive for every company tweet, Facebook post or blog article. Whether it be sending your followers to a specific website or having them become a fan on Facebook, a business’s social media posts serve a purpose. Have you been studying your analytics and noticing that you aren’t getting as many click-throughs or impressions that you were aiming for? It may be time to look at your social media call to actions.
(Source: progressivemediaconcepts.com )
So I have spent a few days trying to understand Google+ brand pages. Here is what I know so far. Let me know if there are mistakes or updates that I need to make. Hope you find it useful!
- Overall look similar to personal pages except for little square icon (red) that designates that it’s a Page rather than a Profile. Some pages seem to be verified. No info on how pages can get verified
- You can manage multiple pages from your google+ personal page
- You cannot invite multiple people as admins
- You can delete pages
- You can group followers into various circles like employees, brands, news etc. These circles can then be shared with your followers
- Followers can recommend you with a +1. Followers can comment or +1 even if they haven’t added the brand page to their circle
- You can block followers. If you block followers
- You will no longer see this person’s content in your stream.
- This person won’t be able to comment on your content.
- This person will be removed from your circles.
- This person will still be able to see your public posts.
- You can reference specific followers with a +name. It doesn’t see like the follower gets any notification of sorts that they have been mentioned in your share
- As a brand you cannot add people to your circle unless they add you. You also cannot comment on personal pages, you can +1. You can however comment and +1 other brand pages
- You can share news with one specific circle and this will be limited to that specific circle. You can also share video (youtube or upload), picture, link and add a place
- There is this little YouTube button on the right. You can search for your brand name, however when it comes to sharing seems like you can only share the entire playlist which may or may not be relevant. I can’t seem to find an option to share just one video
- You can start a hangout ie a video conversation with people in your circles. I believe this can be recorded and shared, I have not tested it yet
- Lock a post: You can lock a post to disable resharing and people you have shared the update with will not be able to mention other you haven’t shared this with.
- Disable comments: By disabling comments other people will no longer be able to leave comments (but they can still +1 and reshare it)
- You can make edits, lock posts, disable comments and delete posts once the post has been shared
- Follower comments on brand pages can be removed or you can report as abuse. There is no information on what constitutes as abuse and if any action is taken against the commenter
- If you want to address one follower in particular you use +name. They will then see this on their stream and the message will not be seen on your posts by other followers
Google+ and search
- Google+ pages are included in search results and you add a person to circles from search
- Direct Connect: For a few select pages typing in +page name in Google search will take you directly to that brand page. Try +Angry Birds for example.
Google+ and ripples
- Use Google+ ripples to see who the top sharers of your content are, the timeline for which it was shared and other statistics. Here is an example of ripple report https://plus.google.com/ripples/details?activityid=DgkCyi3TMhh and here is more info on ripples http://www.seomoz.org/blog/using-google-plus-ripples-to-connect-with-influencers
- Apart from ripples there is no other way to measure yet. Seems like there is more tk http://www.google.com/+/business/measure.html